Back to search results

Film Studies GCE A Level

Greenhead College

Greenhead Road, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD1 4ES

GCE A/AS Level or Equivalent
Level 3
Languages, Literature and Culture

Course Summary

Film Studies at A Level is a well-established academic subject allowing you to explore the exciting relationship between moving image theory and practical film making. We follow the WJEC specification. You will view, discuss and analyse a diverse range of film texts providing you with a wider critical awareness. This course also explores critical debates about film, referencing issues concerning representation, star theories, spectatorship and the significance of national cinemas.

Please read the course information below and if you would like to make an application please visit

Course Details

Practically you will have scope to produce a short film or a screenplay which will be accompanied by a digitally photographed storyboard.

You will be introduced to frameworks and critical debates which you will explore in relation to the 11 films you will study across the two year course.

You will also study practically and theoretically the key elements of film. These include cinematography, editing, sound performance and mise en scene.

The film industry will be explored within a range of institutional contexts; notably Classical Hollywood, New Hollywood, French New Wave, British Cinema, Documentary, Silent Cinema, Independent Cinema and Experimental Film.

You will also study a collection of short films.

How will it be delivered?

The course features a practical coursework component which comprises 30% of your overall A Level. The remaining 70% of the course will be assessed across two examination components.

Entry requirements

The College gives priority to its 11 partner schools. Places are offered to other applicants on a competitive basis.

All prospective students must achieve a minimum of grade 4 in GCSE English Language and GCSE Mathematics, and a minimum of grade 6 in three GCSE subjects.

To study Film Studies, students must achieve a grade 5 in GCSE English Language.

You do not need to have studied GCSE Film to follow this A Level. However, it is important that you are interested in and curious about Film. You should be enthusiastic and motivated to learn about the exciting academic, creative and commercial aspects of cinema.

Your next steps...

An A Level qualification in Film Studies is a superb interdisciplinary subject to follow. Its combination of academic and practical content ensures that it is valued when making Higher Education applications. You will acquire skills in close analysis, discussion, academic essay writing, presentations and creative artistic practical work. The in-depth study of film as a mass medium in a range of creative and commercial institutional contexts will further equip you with cross transferable employability skills.

To make an application please visit

Additional information

For more courses like this, check our courses page.