Administrators handle day-to-day tasks in an office and make sure things run smoothly - 97% of employers say effective administration is essential to their business, so they do a crucial job.
The term 'administration' covers roles that involve organising people and resources, including executive assistants, secretaries, administration assistants, data entry clerks and office juniors. Without them information would be hard to find, meetings would be missed and businesses would be less productive.
As a business and administration apprentice, your exact duties will depend on your employer. It is likely that you will be working with a team or member of staff to handle various tasks. You may be typing up board meeting documents, putting financial information together in spreadsheets, sending the daily post, or faxing and photocopying confidential documents. This sort of work requires a strong sense of responsibility, accuracy and attention to detail.
One of the great things about business and administration is that you can work almost anywhere. With your transferable skills you could be working in a record company or a charity. Administration roles are also an excellent starting point to move into management once you have more experience.
The apprenticeship will include:
- combined knowledge and competency based qualification - level 2
- English - level 1
- maths - level 1
- ICT - level 1
- employee rights and responsibilities
Topics covered include:
- communication in a business environment
- principles of providing administrative services
- principles of business document production and information management
- understanding employer organisations
- managing personal performance and development
- develop working relationships with colleagues
- produce business documents
- store and retrieve information
- use and maintain office equipment
- use a telephone and voicemail system
- meet and welcome visitors in a business environment
At college and in the workplace. You will need to take exams for the technical certificate and Functional Skills elements of the apprenticeship.
Possible job roles:
administrator/business support officer
junior legal secretary
junior medical secretary