You will need to achieve nine mandatory plus two optional units. The mandatory units are:-
- Child and Young Person Development
- Safeguarding the Welfare of Children and Young People
- Communication and Professional Relationships with Children, Young People and Adults
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Work with Children and Young People
- Help Improve Own and Team Practice in Schools
- Maintain and Support Relationships with Children and Young People
- Support Children and Young People's Health & Safety
- Support Children and Young People's Positive Behaviour
- Support Learning Activities
How you will be Assessed
You will use an e-portfolio system. Assessments will be made via online support and face to face visits to support progress. You will have access to virtual training sessions and have regualr review meetings with your assessor.
Nature of Assessments on the Programme
You will work with your assessor who will guide you to complete projects, case studies and assignments as well as collating evidence from other sources.
Working within school
GCSE A*-C (or new grade 9-4) in English Language, Maths and ICT or equivalent.
If you do not have the above qualifications on entry we can assess you to complete functional skills alongside your course.
This qualification will help you to develop your skills as a teaching assistant and recognise the skills you have already acquired in the workplace. It may assist you to progress to senior assistant roles, or eventually to gain Higher Level Teaching Assistant status. Although formal qualifications are not generally mandatory for teaching assistants, there is increasing competition for these posts and possession of City & Guilds certificates or diplomas will give you an advantage when applying for jobs.